Call for Socials and Mentoring sessions
23 July (Tue) to 25 July (Thu), 2024, Vienna, Austria (in-person).
A strong community is central to the success of ICML. Our mission is to create an opportunity for all participants to meet new people and to share knowledge, valuable experiences, best practices, career options, and diverse less research-related interests. To enable this, we will support socials and mentoring sessions.
Similar as in 2022, ICML 2023 is going to be organized in person this year as well, with some virtual elements. The goal of ICML socials is to help the attendees connect and communicate with each other about research. Neither socials nor mentoring sessions should be used to promote any person and/or company. Companies interested in promoting their visibility at the conference are welcome to apply to be a sponsor and use resources available for sponsors.
A social is a participant-led meeting centered around diverse themes. These themes can be anything ranging from (but not limited):
- Research topics and interests (e.g., generative models, reinforcement learning, social impact ML)
- Skills exchange and training (e.g., giving better presentations, guidance on academic job applications)
- Supporting affinity group meetings (e.g., QueerInAI, Women in Machine Learning)
- Other less research-oriented, social, and intellectual gatherings (e.g., ICML book club, wine and cheese, quiz night)
Socials are typically about 2-hour or less long, and must have two leads (who will organize the session, moderate the session, and ensure respectful communication). The leads need to commit to attend the conference in person.
Socials happen in person at the conference venue.
A mentoring session is a meeting where a senior member of the community (academic or industry) offers their time to give scientific and career advice, and answer questions from more junior members and newcomers. These mentoring sessions will help the ICML community in its goal of increasing inclusivity.
We will also support ad-hoc, last-minute mentoring sessions during the conference. We will use the Mementor system (https://mementor.net/) to register Mentor sessions.
If you are interested in
- Hosting a social, please complete this form for Social
- Volunteering your time for a mentoring session, please register here and schedule a mentoring session there during ICML 2024 - 23 July to 27 July, 2024 (in the form there please choose "ICML2024" in "associated with which event?")
Organizers and guests should be registered participants of ICML.
Submit forms for socials and physical mentoring sessions before 26 May 2024 (anywhere on Earth). Virtual mentoring sessions can be scheduled at any time.
We will review these as quickly as we can after the deadline. We may combine activities, or suggest other modifications (such as suggesting alternative dates/times) in order to balance the program of activities.
Code of conduct: Being part of ICML 2024, social events and mentoring sessions are subject to the general code of conduct of the conference.
- Application Deadline: May 26 2024
- Application Notification: June 9 2024
FAQ (will be extended)
- Will there be financial support for inviting speakers etc?
No, but the rooms are made available for free.
- For which time slots will rooms be available?
We try to get rooms whenever there is no main program session taking place. Most likely in the late afternoon and evening hours (main conference time).
- Will you provide Visa letters for attendees of socials
Since attendees for socials will be ICML attendees, please check the conference visa page for information on how to obtain visa letters.
Social Chairs, ICML 2024
Jung-Woo Ha and Luciana Benotti