Call for Virtual Socials and Mentoring sessions
17 July to 23 July, 2022, physical and/or online
A strong community is central to the success of ICML. Our mission is to create an opportunity for all participants (at home and at the convention center) to meet new people and to share knowledge, best practices, career options, and interests. To enable this, we will support many socials and mentoring sessions.
After 2 years of being fully virtual, ICML is going to be back in person this year! However, as we all know not everyone can attend a physical conference, so our social events will be both in person and virtual (or something in between).
Update: please note that neither socials nor mentoring sessions should be used to promote any person and/or company. A company that wishes to have an advertisement at the conference should apply to be a sponsor and use resources available for sponsors
- research topics and interests (e.g., generative models, reinforcement learning, social impact ML)
- skills exchange and training (e.g., giving better presentations, guidance on academic job applications)
- supporting affinity group meetings (e.g., QueerInAI, Women in Machine Learning)
- other social and intellectual gatherings (e.g., ICML book club, wine and cheese, quiz night)
A virtual social is all the above but it is a video-driven meeting. For virtual socials we encourage the socials to have double sessions to be inclusive in terms of the time zones of the participants around the world (but this is not a requirement).
A social can be something in between fully physical or fully virtual. For example, a physical social may be live streamed.
A virtual mentoring session is the same, but is a video meeting.
We will also support ad-hoc, last-minute mentoring sessions during the conference.
- hosting a social, please complete this form for socials
- volunteering your time for a mentoring session, please register here and schedule a mentoring session there during ICML 2022 - 17 July to 23 July, 2022 (in the form there please choose "ICML2022" in "associated with which event?")
Organizers and guests should be registered participants of ICML.
Submit forms for socials and physical mentoring sessions before 12 June 2022 (anywhere on Earth). Virtual mentoring sessions can be scheduled at any time.
We will review these as quickly as we can after the deadline. We may combine activities, or suggest other modifications (such as suggesting alternative dates/times) in order to balance the programme of activities.
Code of conduct: Being part of ICML 2022, social events and mentoring sessions are subject to the general code of conduct of the conference.
- Deadline: June 12 2022
- Notification: June 19 2022
Social Chairs, ICML 2022
Hendrik Strobelt and Olga Isupova