Call for Virtual Socials and Mentoring sessions
12 July to 18 July, 2020, online
A strong community is central to the success of ICML. Our mission is to create an opportunity for all participants to meet new people and to share knowledge, best practices, career options, and interests. To enable this, we will support many virtual socials and mentoring sessions.
A virtual social is a participant-led video-driven meeting centred around different themes. These themes can be anything ranging from:
- research topics and interests (e.g., generative models, reinforcement learning, covid-19, social impact ML).
- skills exchange and training (e.g., giving better presentations, guidance on academic job applications).
- supporting affinity group meetings (e.g., QueerInAI, Women in Machine Learning).
- other social and intellectual gatherings (e.g., ICML book club, wine and cheese).
Virtual socials are typically 2-hour longs long, must have two leads (who will organise the session, moderate the session, and ensure respectful communication). In accordance with the conference "11 hour offset model" we encourage the socials to have double sessions to be inclusive in terms of the time zones of the participants (but this is not a requirement).
A mentoring session is a video meeting where a senior member of the community (academic or industry) offers their time to give scientific and career advice, and answer questions from more junior members and newcomers. These mentoring sessions will help the ICML community in its goal of increasing inclusivity.
We will also support ad-hoc, last-minute mentoring sessions during the conference.
If you are interested in:
- hosting a virtual social, please complete this form for socials.
- volunteering your time for a mentoring session, please complete this form to sign up to be a mentor.
Organisers and guests should be registered participants of ICML.
Submit these forms before 5 July 2020 (anywhere on Earth).
We will review these as quickly as we can after the deadline. We may combine activities, or suggest other modifications (such as suggesting alternative dates/times) in order to balance the programme of activities.
Code of conduct: Being part of ICML 2020, social events and mentoring sessions are subject to the general code of conduct of the conference.
Deadline: 5 July 2020
Notification: 8 July 2020
Social Chairs, ICML 2020
Adam White and Olga Isupova